Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pandora's Box

Do you guyz know the Greek myth about Pandora's box? If you do, you will understand what my post this morning is all about. If you don't, lemme give a bit of history.

In Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman. The Gods created her by giving her unique gifts and all. To cut the story short, she was given this box (it was actually a jar but we have modernized the story) in which she should never open. Pandora reminded me of myself here. Never tell me not to do something or else i will do it. It's called curiosity. She opened the box later and unleashed many terrible things on mankind,illness, toils, famine. She tried closing it back but it couldn't be done. As she cried, a little wisp of smoke came out. It was hope. It told her not to cry that hope would be there to help all of mankind through all the toils and troubles she opened on them.

Sorry, it's kinda long but you have to get the story before you will understand my problem. In my mind, I had a box. Sealed and never to be opened again. That box contained memories of my past relationship (Ismaila). Last night, I had to open the box to help someone (more on that later). All the memories that I had vowed never to think about again flooded my brain. It was like a cd player that had no stop button. I tried to block it out, but it didn't work.

How do you burn memories in your brain?

Like Pandora, I tried my best to close it but it was too late. It was already out there and there was no way of cramming memories back into the box. Like Pandora too, I had hope. Yemi represents hope to me. Though he didn't know what was really wrong with me, I know he will always be there for me.

I'm still trying to close the box. Memories are like that. They are always there. You can push them at the back of your mind but once you open the box, it's as fresh as the first time.

Fausat

Labake

Deola



No comments:

Post a Comment